Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week 3 Reflection

I cannot wait to use podcasts in my classroom. As a math teacher, I know that many of my parents struggle to help their children with homework because they don't understand the concept themselves or they are unfamiliar with the way it is being taught. Difficult concepts can be podcasted online with examples so that parents will be able to understand how a skill is being taught in class. Students can also podcast in class as a way to assess various skills.

Good podcasts have a clear purpose. The audio is at a good volume level and easy to understand.

Podcasting was difficult for me because I am a perfectionist. I wanted it to be "just perfect". With a 9-month-old at home and company on the way, I didn't have the time this week for it to be "just perfect". I also wanted to use video (I plan to use this in my class to show various skills), so I created a slideshow of my son. I added music and audio, another daring task. Although it isn't close to being perfect, I learned a lot about adding audio, video, and music. I learned how much time podcasting can take. I learned that it is definitely an exciting tool, and I'm excited to get to use it in my math class next year!

2 comments:

CHE Librarian said...

I like the idea of having math podcasts for parents showing how a particular skill is taught in class. I was talking with some friends yesterday about how math instruction has changed from when we were students. This would be a great resource for parents wanting to help their child.

Emily G.

orteganic said...

Kara,
There are so many great ways to use podcasts in the classroom. I'm so excited to hear what you've put together and to follow you throughout the year as you continue using them.

The perfectionist gene must be on the same allele as the math teacher gene- I think the two go hand in hand. Make sure to be careful not to allow your part time job next year turn into a full time podcasting position...